Friday, March 11, 2011

Almost Time to Plant

I usually start planting my tomato and pepper seedlings in wall-o-waters starting March 15, but this year I'll start on Sunday the 13th.  Planting in wall-o-waters allows me to start harvesting tomatoes and peppers a full month earlier.  It's definitely worth the considerable hassle.

A couple of years ago I decided to boycott Bonnie plants, which are now the monopoly in all the Las Cruces big box stores.  Only Guzman Nursery sells non-Bonnie plants.  I don't like Bonnie because they're so expensive, and several of the plants I bought in recent years have been mislabeled.  I figured I'd grow them myself and be sure of what I had (assuming the seeds are properly labeled, of course). 

I planted the seeds on Jan. 24 in styrofoam cups (which I reuse every year) filled with potting soil.  I left them to sprout in the kitchen, which has a 24-hour fire at that time of year.  I plant 3-4 seeds in each cup and thin to one plant, but even so, several of the cups had clunker seeds and I had to replant a couple of weeks later.  That's why some of the pepper plants are so small.

After they sprouted, I moved the baby plants to the greenhouse.  Usually the "water wall" provides adequate nighttime heat, but during the below-zero big freeze I ran two electric heaters all night long, which I've never had to do before.  A week or so ago, I moved the tomatoes and the larger peppers into bigger pots, which they appreciate.  In a couple of days they'll start getting used to their new home in the garden, and the cycle begins anew.