Sunday, November 14, 2010

Succulent Greens

The greens in my coldframe are fat and sassy as winter descends upon us.  Greens like cool weather, but prefer not to be frozen too much.  A coldframe creates conditions that are just right.  I'm amazed -- but not at all surprised -- that so few Americans have coldframes.  There's no comparison between freshly-picked, organically-grown greens, and greens that were picked in some huge California field a week or two ago.  But humans are a conservative lot, and it's very hard to get them to change their behavior.



Here's my greenhouse.  Wearing my rose-colored glasses, I can confidently predict that we'll have more greens than we can possibly use for salads, smoothies, omelettes, etc.  But this is still November, and I'm expecting a major outbreak of aphids by January.  The first rule of homesteading:  "there's always something."