Tuesday, September 28, 2010

New Grass

After killing off most of the cane that had been growing along the river (I got rid of it because it was a fire hazard), I planted a mixture of 7 kinds of tall fescue to provide a ground cover.  I really lucked out -- I planted right before the monsoon started, and strewed extra grass seed across the damp soil after every rain.  We ended up having 8" of rain, timed just perfectly to nurture the newly-sprouted seedlings.  That's the river at the upper-right corner of the picture.


Another picture showing the lush green grass.  Tall fescue makes a clump about 2 feet high, and lives for many years.  Next year I'll plant some bermuda grass seed.  Bermuda grass is a pernicious weed in my garden, but it will make a useful ground cover in this location because it will spread and cover any bare spots.

No comments:

Post a Comment